Monday, July 03, 2006

What are we doing here?

Wow, so um, we have some catching up to do!

When I made this website it was for the purpose of sharing and documenting our house adventure. Moving, rebuilding, and restoring an 18th century house is fascinating work and it needed to be shared. But now that the house is finished, does that mean Ecoteat is too? We've done some work outside the house; should I share that here? Our family has grown, but this isn't a blog about us, so I don't write about our perfeect little baby girl.

I suppose I'll tell you a little of what we have going on with the house and gardens. This spring we planted an orchard of heirloom apples. Many varieties are as old as the house. Hopefully, in a few years (if the abundant deer don't foil our plans), we'll have an assortment of unusual and delicious apples. We are also working on creating raised-bed gardens. We have been using some historic garden plans for inspiration. The garden will be directly behind the house, under the kitchen windows. It will have a fence like this one in Strawbery Banke:

This week we hired a neighbor with a tractor to help move some clay around to level the area the garden will be in. The lumber is stacked and waiting to be made into beds and a fence. It has been pretty slow going with all the rain New England has had these past couple months. Maybe I'll document the garden-building here, but with my recent posting trends, I'm not making any promises!