Thursday, March 03, 2005

The elves have been busy

It sometimes seems like there isn't much happening, when, in fact, a lot of things are quietly getting done while I'm at school.

Yesterday when I came home, I ran upstairs to use the bathroom, flung the door open, and noticed a sign on it reading "tread lightly." So I flick my shoes off into the hall as I go in to an empty bathroom with a freshly sanded floor. This floor has been so troublesome; the old, wide oak boards shrunk much more than we expected once the in-floor heat was turned on, leaving us with large (sometimes 3/4 inch!) gaps between them. After filling the gaps with strips of wood the floor squeaks in spots and was pretty irregular. But now it has been sanded down and holes have been puttied. When I get home today I won't be able to go in there because the first coat of whatever is going on there will still be wet. Good thing the 1/2 bath toilet has been installed!

While Damian was working on the bathroom floor, elves or somebody (I never actually see the people who do these things) worked on the windows. It won't be long before all the windows have their trim up. Then we can plaster. Then we can paint. Then we'll be just about done. Which is good, because we have just under two months to finish.