Wednesday, August 23, 2006

August ramblings

Still not much happening with the house. Damian has been getting some work done on the fence when he has time, but it's challenging when I'm attached at the hip to the baby and he has to pick up the slack for what I don't have as much time to do around the house as I used to.

This time last year I was posting pictures of our beautiful harvest and making lots of pasta sauce (which I couldn't eat beacuse for some strange reason it tasted metallic and yucky in the early days of pregnancy). Since we were a bit preoccupied this spring with birth and a newborn, we didn't get much of a garden planted. Luckily, though, we can count on nature to grow something good for us to gather and eat. There are lots of ripe blackberries growing along the edges of our road. There are raspberries and blueberries, too, but we were a little late in picking those. We will be harvesting the garlic we planted last fall and we should have a fair amount of potatoes if the weeds didn't just suck all the nutrients out of the soil!

I love this time of year in Maine. The light is starting to change, there is lots of fresh food to eat, and school is about to start.